Have you seen us in Fairfield World’s We Make for Good Video? Take a look!
We are currently overstocked with knockers. What a good problem to have! Knocker Nights are “on pause” but we still welcome your contributions of knitted or crocheted knockers. Thanks!
Care Cards (include with all knockers: updated 8.2.17)
Reference Card (approved yarns & sizing; updated 6.21.17)
Sign up for our Knocker Knitters & Crocheters Newsletter
Watch a short film about Knitted Knockers at Ben Franklin Crafts
Read a recent article about Knitted Knockers on People Magazine Online
Ben Franklin Crafts is pleased to sponsor a new opportunity to provide love and comfort through your volunteer knitting and crocheting efforts! When customer Kathy Parzych approached us about partnering in this community-based project, we knew it was a perfect fit for us as well as our customers who love to knit and crochet.
Knitted Knockers are crafted with loving care by volunteer stitchers and collected at Ben Franklin Crafts (stuffed or unstuffed). Kathy will distribute these handcrafted prostheses on an ongoing basis to Breast Care Centers at our local hospitals. Breast Cancer survivors will have the option of choosing this lightweight, comfortable and adjustable alternative to traditional breast prosthetics – free of charge.
Interested in learning more? Read through the info below: How You Can Help and Our Process. Let us know that you want to help by emailing Lynda at firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll receive updates, urgent requests and special event info just for our Knocker Knitters and Krocheters!
How You Can Help
Volunteer to Knit or Crochet
- Patterns available to knit or crochet: knittedknockers.org
- Knit with double points, circular (Magic Loop) or straights
- Crochet Knockers, too!
- Use our reference card for approved yarns and proper sizing
- Donate directly to the Knitted Knocker Foundation at knittedknockers.org
- Donate yarns: Cascade Ultra Pima, Cascade Cherub DK (swim knockers), Plymouth Anne or Premier Cotton Fair
- Donate packaging bags: Gusset style, 20/pack: 6” x 3.25” x 13.5” located in Craft Department
Spread the Word!
- Connect with knittedknockers.org via their social media outlets.
- Share this information with your friends who knit or crochet.
- Inform friends or loved ones undergoing breast cancer treatment of this option to traditional breast prosthetics.
- Make Knockers: Use approved yarns.
- Stuffed or unstuffed – either way works!
- No nipples, please.
- Leave opening loose, don’t tighten at all. This allows the end user to customize her fit.
- Care Card: Fill 1 card for each knocker with your name and fiber content. Download a sheet of care cards here.
- Leave size blank empty. We’ll double check sizing as we stuff and package for distribution.
- Identify fiber content as “cotton” or “cotton/acrylic.” You don’t need to include the name of the yarn you used.
- Package: Place Knocker(s) and card in a sandwich bag.
- Submit: Drop off at Customer Service Desk.
- Make More! Receive a coupon: 20% off approved yarns for 2 weeks after drop off.
- Distribute: We will package and notify our contacts at ProHealth, Aurora, Fort Healthcare and Small Stones Wellness Center.