Since the start of 2017, we’ve shared 145 individual knockers with local hospitals!
Care Cards (include with all knockers)
Reference Card (approved yarns & sizing; updated 3.22.17)
Ben Franklin Crafts is pleased to sponsor a new opportunity to provide love and comfort through your volunteer knitting and crocheting efforts! When customer Kathy Parzych approached us about partnering in this community-based project, we knew it was a perfect fit for us as well as our customers who love to knit and crochet.
Knitted Knockers are crafted with loving care by volunteer stitchers and collected at Ben Franklin Crafts (stuffed or unstuffed). Kathy will distribute these handcrafted prostheses on an ongoing basis to Breast Care Centers at our local hospitals. Breast Cancer survivors will have the option of choosing this lightweight, comfortable and adjustable alternative to traditional breast prosthetics – free of charge.
Interested in learning more? Read through the info below: How You Can Help and Our Process. Let us know that you want to help by emailing Lynda at email@example.com. You’ll receive updates, urgent requests and special event info just for our Knocker Knitters and Krocheters!
How You Can Help
Volunteer to Knit or Crochet
- Patterns available to knit or crochet: knittedknockers.org
- Knit with double points, circular (Magic Loop) or straights
- Crochet Knockers, too!
- Use our reference card for approved yarns and proper sizing
- Donate directly to the Knitted Knocker Foundation at knittedknockers.org
- Donate yarns: Cascade Ultra Pima, Plymouth Anne or Premier Cotton Fair
- Donate bags of polyester fiberfil
- Donate packaging bags: Gusset style, 20/pack: 6” x 3.25” x 13.5” located in Craft Department
Spread the Word!
- Connect with knittedknockers.org via their social media outlets.
- Share this information with your friends who knit or crochet.
- Inform friends or loved ones undergoing breast cancer treatment of this option to traditional breast prosthetics.
- Make Knockers: Use approved yarns. Stuffed or unstuffed, no nipples, please.
- Care Card: Fill 1 card for each knocker with sizing, fiber content, and your name.
- Package: Place Knocker(s) and card in a sandwich bag.
- Submit: Drop off at Customer Service Desk.
- Make More! Receive a coupon: 20% off approved yarns for 2 weeks after drop off.
- Distribute: We will package and notify Kathy P. to pick up for ProHealth & Aurora.
Email Lynda at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to be included on our Knitted Knockers mailing list.