Staycation Crafts for Kids – Week 2
Design a t-shirt that’s one of a kind using masking tape and fabric paints. You’ll be all set for your 4th of July Festivities.
We were inspired by this 2008 post by Joann for this year’s t-shirt project. Be sure to visit her site to see the really cute t-shirts her family made – they all match, but yet their uniquely individual! She has a great set of process photos to refer to, also.
You will need the following items to make this Staycation project – available at Ben Franklin Crafts!
- White t-shirt – washed and dried
- Masking tape
- Self-adhesive stars
- Americana Multi Surface Satin paint – red and blue
- Ceramcoat Textile Medium
- Popsicle stick
You will also need:
- Container for mixing paint and textile medium
- Sponge pieces to paint with
- Container to hold paint (we used a paper plate)
- Cardboard – large enough to stretch shirt over
- Put cardboard inside of the t-shirt. Wrap the arms and bottom around to the back and tape in place.
- Use masking tape to mark off a rectangle along the sides and bottom of the shirt. Connect the sides with another piece of tape that goes right under the neck binding.
- Use masking tape and adhesive stars to create shirt design.
- Use popsicle stick to firmly rub along the edges of stars and tape so no paint sneaks under.
- Mix paint and textile medium as indicated on the bottle. Squirt a small amount of paint into container and use sponge to paint sections of shirt as desired.
- Allow shirt to dry for 2 hours before removing tape and stars.
- Turn the shirt inside out and place paper towels or a pressing cloth between the painted design and back of shirt. Iron on the wrong side to heat set the paint.
- Wash shirt in cold water and hang to dry, if possible.
We would love to see a picture of your finished Patriotic T-Shirt! Upload your photo to our Facebook page.
Coming up next: Noisemaker